- In Action
- Knowledge & Resources
- About Us
- News & Events
- Members / Associates
Working with our Members and Associates
ITOPF works with its Members and Associates around the world in an advisory capacity, to ensure that the shipping industry is prepared and ready to respond to minimise the impacts of any spills that do occur.
See interview with Dr Karen Purnell by the Shipowners Club "Membership of the Club means automatic membership of ITOPF".
Drills and Exercises
If any of our shipowners are considering undertaking either table-top or full drills and exercises, feel free to contact us if you would like us to participate or think we can help with your scenario planning. Below is a selection of exercises that we have been involved in recently:
- Balex Delta, Finland: Exercise to test the regional response capability of nine Baltic coastal States. In addition to at-sea response with vessels, the exercise also incorporated wildlife response.
- Barents Sea (Arctic Ocean) Exercise: Joint exercise between Russia and Norway to address emergency response issues in the Barents Sea.
- CANUSLANT: Joint exercise between the US and Canadian Coast Guards to test the management and deployment of resources in a cross-border oil pollution incident.
- IMCMEX (International Mine Counter-Measures Exercise): A multi-national defence exercise, with associated workshops and symposia, in the Arabian Gulf. This focused on maritime infrastructure protection and included an oil spill response discussion with industry representatives.
- NOWPAP (North West Pacific Action Plan): Joint oil spill exercise between the Korea Coast Guard and China Maritime Safety Administration.
- POLLEX, Italy: Exercise organised by Chevron Shipping Company as part of their annual tier-3 pollution exercises to train and test response resources.
Contingency Planning and Advisory Services
In addition to facilitating drills and exercises, ITOPF can also assist with the preparation or review of company oil spill contingency plans. For example, we have been working with Shell Trading & Shipping Company on their "Deep Dive" programme to review the contingency plans for their oil and gas operations around the world. If you feel that the experience ITOPF's staff have gained from attending spills around the world can be of benefit to your strategic level planning then contact us to see whether your requirements align with ITOPF's current priority areas.
Training Courses and Seminars
We have had the pleasure of meeting many of our shipowners when we teamed up with the spill management teams, Gallagher Marine Services, Witt O'Briens and ECM Maritime Services, on their annual seminar series for shipowners based in countries around the world who have a port of call in the USA. As a result, we have been able to talk to around 1,000 shipowners over the last year. However we do appreciate that with a membership comprising over 90% of the world’s shipping fleet, even that is only a small fraction of our potential audience.
An efficient way to make best use of ITOPF’s expertise is often through small gatherings of like-minded shipowners and their stakeholders at seminars and workshops. If you would like ITOPF to participate in any event you are holding please contact us.